新概念英语第二册Lesson 95 A fantasy
First listen and then answer the question.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
Why was the Ambassador particularly lucky?
When the Ambassador of Escalopia returned home for lunch,his wife got a shock.He looked pale and his clothes were in a frightful state.
'What has happened?'she asked.'How did your clothes get into such a mess?'
'A fire extinguisher,my dear,'answered the Ambassador drily.'University students set the Embassy on fire this morning.'
'Good heavens!'exclaimed his wife.'And where were you at the time?'
'I was in my office as usual,'answered the Ambassador.'The fire broke out in the basement.I went down immediately,of course,and that fool,Horst,aimed a fire extinguisher at me.He thought I was on fire.I must definitely get that fellow posted.'
The Ambassador's wife went on asking questions,when she suddenly noticed a big hole in her husband's hat.
'And how can you explain that?'she asked.
'Oh,that,'said the Ambassador.'Someone fired a shot through my office window.Accurate,don't you think?Fortunately,I wasn't wearing it at the time.If I had been,I would not have been able to get home for lunch.'
自学导读
课文详注Further notes on the text
1.How did your clothes get into such a mess?你的衣服怎么搞得一塌糊涂?
mess表示“脏乱状态”时通常与in连用或与get into连用(cf.第54课课文详注):
When she returned from the market,the children had got the room into a terrible mess.
她从市场回去后,孩子们已经把房间里弄得一塌糊涂。
Why was her hair in such a mess?
她的头发怎么会那么乱?
2.University students set the Embassy on fire this morning.今天上午大学生们放火点着了大使馆。
set on fire为固定短语,表示“使……燃烧”、“放火烧……”:
In 1834,someone set the Houses of Parliament on fire.
1834年,有人放火点着了国会大厦。
Have you found out who set my car on fire?
你们是否已经查出是谁烧了我的车?
3.The fire broke out in the basement.地下室突然着火。
break out可以指火灾、战争等“突然发生”、“爆发”:
World War I broke out in 1914.
第一次世界大战于1914年爆发。
When the fire broke out in the ship,Sally was frightened out of her wits.
当轮船突然着火时,萨莉吓得惊慌失措。
4.The Ambassador's wife went on asking questions…
大使夫人继续提出问题……
go on+动名词表示某个动作“继续不停”:
We went on talking till after midnight.
我们继续谈话直到午夜以后。
go on+不定式则指做不同的事:
After making the bed,she went on to cook breakfast.铺好床后,她接着便做早饭。
5.Someone fired a shot through my office window.有人向我办公室窗户开了一枪。
fire在这里是动词,表示“发射(枪、弹等)”:
When the prisoner of war tried to escape,a guard fired a gun at him.
那战俘试图逃跑时,一名卫兵向他开了一枪。
A young man fired on the British Ambassador to Japan.
一位年轻人向英国驻日本大使开了枪。
词汇学习Word study1.aim(1)vt.,vi.(把……)瞄准/对准: